Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Grandma's Update

Grandma arrived at the Lahey Clinic this morning around 4am by medical transportation. A couple hours after her arrival, her medical team met with her and discussed her case. Before they could make any decisions, they had to wait for the surgeon.

About 11am, I received a phone call from my mom that during a test a node of some sort was found in one of my grandmothers lungs and they are not sure if it would effect the surgery.

Early afternoon, I received another updated stating that the node will not effect the surgery and the everything is back on schedule. They still did not set a time (or date) for the procedure. The doctors said they will worry about the node after the surgery with a 6 month follow-up.

Just a few minutes ago, another update was given, but in a not-so-good phone call. My mom says that grandma's heart has metastasized which means it has hardened and they are not sure if they can clean all of the arteries. IF she survives the surgery, they will figure out at a later date what to do with the arteries that cannot be revived at the time of the surgery. She goes under tomorrow morning at 6am.


Please continue to send her your support. It would be greatly appreciated. I cannot go to the clinic because of a work situation, but I will be by the phone and I will send out an update as soon as I know. I plan to go to Boston on Thursday.

3 comments:

Maggie May said...

i am sorry to hear this. i would look up heart disease on
http://lef.org i have used them for treatment of my own disease and my mother used them when she was having heart problems to great effect. they give recommendations for treatment protocols for all kinds of diseases if you click on the disease link on their page. i know one thing they would say firstly is to begin taking COQ10. you can google it if you like- the amazing effects for the heart are well researched and documented and a treatment clinic in NY uses it in theraputic doses before doing surgery. others that stimulate oxygen and strength to the heart are Niacin, Ginger and green tea supplements.

for the nodule, i'd do a series of cleanses and supplement with wheat grass and mushrooms, which are greatly beneficial to the lungs and strengthen the immune system.

wheat grass is well known for it's amazing results, Lance Armstrong used it to survive multiple cancers.

when someone i love is sick, i go into learn and take action mode. i helped both my grandparents almost daily for the two years before they died and became a great advocate of taking your health into your own hands through my own disease, Endometriosis.

i hope the surgery goes wonderfully.

floreksa said...

many prayers for your grandma!

Anonymous said...

My very best wishes go out to you and your family. I will continue to keep your grandmother in my thoughts. Thx for the update.


Smiles,
Amy