Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Grandma's Surgery

So, I didn't keep my promise and stay by the phone and post any updates. I actually headed to Boston mid-morning since I was getting ancey in the pancey sitting at work along with my mom being the same way already in Boston, so I wanted to head west to calm her down and myself.

Before I left work, I received notice that grandma went in for prep around 8:30am and then taken into surgery around 9am. The surgery was due to last 5 hours.


I had arrived at the hospital around 12:30pm and no one heard anything. Then around 3pm one of my aunts checked with a nurse and said she was still in surgery. Now it was 6 hours into the procedure.


Then around 3:45pm, the surgeon came out and told us that she did wonderfully during the surgery. She did fantastic! Phew! The weight just lifted off of every ones shoulders.
Then he went on to explain that a triple by-pass was done due to the condition of the heart rather then a quint by-pass. The artery that was blocked the most could not be "cleaned" but rather a vein was placed before the blockage to make a by-pass around it to the heart to help with the flow. Also, her heart will remain 2x's as hard as a normal heart, but she will be on medication to prevent any further hardening.


Now she will remain in ICU for 8 hours to rest while being knocked out. Then they will wake her up. She will remain in ICU for another 24 hours, but awake and able to have visitors. Then she will be moved into her own room for a few days. After she leaves the hospital she will go into re-hab in our area for a couple of weeks and then go home.


Thank you to everyone for the warm wishes sent her way!

3 comments:

Kellan said...

Oh - I am glad to hear that your grandmother's surgery went well. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. Take care - Kellan

Anonymous said...

Oh yay! I am so happy to hear the news and the picture is totally appropriate!!!

katie k-h said...

I'm so happy for you and your family. What a relief!! I hope that she has a speedy and uneventful recovery. Enjoy the 4th!!

Katie