Sunday, July 20, 2008

Ahhh, we're back!

Jeff and I had a nice, relaxing weekend in Sturbridge, MA. We really didn't do much while we where there, but that was the whole idea. After we checked in, we drove up and down Main Street to check out what was around us. We stopped in a few of the country stores, a local spirits store for our evening beverages and scoped out where we were going to eat supper.


The welcome sign outside the inn
So, after checking out the area it was time to sit back and relax. Jeff decided to nap, so I took advantage of our little sitting area in our room and read my book while sitting in the sun that was coming through the windows, sipping on a glass of wine. It was wonderful.


Gazebo sitting area in the front of the B&B
After our afternoon relaxation, we slowly got ready for supper. We decided to go to the Ugly Duckling Loft a few doors down from the inn. The Ugly Duckling was in the same building as The Whistling Swan, but the Ugly Duckling was more our style. The Swan is a fine dining restaurant as the Ugly Duckling Lounge had a laid back atmosphere, but with still a nice variety of dinner options and yummy food too.


The inn's pool
We never made it into the pool, not because of weather or anything like that, but because of a creepy employee at the inn. Ok, here's the story. Mid-afternoon, it was time for me to sit and relax and have my glass of wine. I realized we didn't have a cork-screw with us, so I ventured down to the main desk to ask for one to borrow.

I asked the person at the desk if he had a cork-screw we can borrow. He went back into the office and found a brand new one and removed it from the package. After I said thanks, he looked at me and said in a skeevy voice, you look nice (I had on jean capries, a black tshirt and flip flops). I said thanks and proceeded to walk faster to the room then I realized. I told Jeff what happened and announced we will not be going to the pool (since it was right next to the main lobby). He might have meant it in an innocent way, but I just got the heeby-jeeby's from him.


Check-In desk and eating area
After we had a lovely supper, Jeff and I had decided to sit out in the inn's gazebo. The only area to really sit outside was either by the pool, the gazebo or a couple of benches that were placed out front. The inn really didn't have an area in the back of the property to go and sit outside to relax since their parking lot and and addition for more rooms took up most of that area. So, we sat and relaxed until is started to get dark.


Another view of the main lobby
After our evening out, we took advantage of the quietness of the area and just relaxed and enjoyed each others company.


The view of the room when you walk in
On Sunday morning, we slept in. We took note that breakfast was served between the hours of 8:30am-10:30am. Usually, breakfast is available early morning and if you sleep in, you are on your own. But, in this B&B, we took advantage of the later hours of the continental breakfast and slept in. It was nice to be able to do so without the noise of other people in our house (like my FIL or SIL who make noise, no matter who is sleeping).


The fireplace wasn't working since it was summer, but I bet its toasty when its in service

The continental breakfast was the basic cold cereal, bagels, danish, english muffins, coffee, tea and fruit. But, it was all we needed. It wasn't too fancy where you felt out of place, but just right.


Our sitting area in our room
After breakfast, we went back to the room for more r&r. Our check out time was 11am, so by 10:30am we looked at each other and decided it was time to hit the road.


Our lovely whirlpool tub
After checking-out, we had one more stop we wanted to make at the E.J. Candies store. Its in the same family of chocolate makers as Herbet Candy who several years ago used to have a candy mansion in our area. So, we had to stop by and indulge our candy fix. We bought lots of fudge to bring home, yummy!


Jeff like this sign in the lobby

So, we had a lovely time away this weekend. I am happy that we were able to get away for some alone time. We don't do it too often, but I'd like to do it more. I know I'm not 100% yet, but I do feel much better and ready to take on any new challenges that lay ahead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a perfectly relaxing getaway, which hit the spot I am sure! Thanks for sharing...the place looked so cute and it is so nice to not feel like you have to "keep up with the Jone's."