Friday, March 13, 2009

Touch of Sadness

Cancer has been a part of my life history. My mother was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma when I was 6 years old (she was in her late 20's). She had a 30% chance of living and she survived. The end result is I still have my wacky mother around and I am grateful.

Others aren't so lucky. Jeff's mom passed away several years ago from lung cancer. It was hard on the entire family from the start of her illness and continues through the present. She tried her best to fight what was taking over her body, but the cancer won.

In the past two years I've known 4 people who was diagnosed with some sort of cancer.

A co-worker, a little over a year and half ago was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had a successful battle and is doing well.

One of my cousins wife was diagnosed with colon cancer in the fall. She was told in February, she is free and clear of the disease after her treatments.

A close friend in Maryland was diagnosed with prostate cancer in February. His cancer was caught early so his outcome looks great.

A co-workers mother was diagnosed with lung cancer 6 weeks ago and lost her battle on Sunday. She went to the hospital for pneumonia and they found the cancer in her lung and by that time it already in stage 4. She was only 54 years old. Her wake was Weds evening and considering the circumstances, it was lovely. A lot of people showed their respect for the family in a beautiful setting.



So, what I want to say is this.....live your life to the fullest, don't take anything for granted, always tell your family you love them and enjoy the day to day adventures since you never know what card you will be dealt with in your life. Its hard to do that everyday with things we may come across, but its so worth it. You just never know what tomorrow will bring and its better to know that you did something rather then say, oh I wish I told that person I loved them for one last time.

1 comment:

Deleted said...

That's amazing, It's so good to hear there are a lot of survivors. I am very lucky and on a daily basis I try to remind myself that things that bother me aren't as bad as they could be, thanks for helping me today! :)