Monday, April 21, 2008

What a glorious weekend!

This weekend's weather was perfect! It was so beautiful. On Saturday the temperature was in the 80's with a nice breeze cooling you off if you happen to get a little warm standing in the sun. Those are the type of days I long for. Yesterday was a little cooler, in the 70's, but it was still a lovely day to be outside.

Since it was so nice, it was time to tackle some yard work. I didn't want to over do it, but I needed to start somewhere. So, this past weekend I focused on the backyard. I usually work on the front first, but my backyard swing was calling my name. I mean, I couldn't neglect it any longer. I couldn't wait to clean it up to get out there to catch up on some reading.

The first thing I had to do was remove all of these huge branches that broke off our trees from the snow this winter. My FIL thought it was a smart idea to throw them in the corner where my swing is located for the time being. Well, let me tell you it was a pain to pull them off of each other to an area where we can chainsaw them into pieces.

Here is a picture below of the piles of branches, but I should have taken a picture before since it really doesn't show the effect of huge branches. Oh, well.



Then, I had to do some racking & clean up of the mulch from last year. I had little piles to pick up, no problem.



Then, here is the almost final picture. I just have to lay down new mulch to finish it all up. That is a project for this weekend coming up. I will have a little helper next Saturday, so I'm sure she will like helping her auntie spread some mulch.



After supper last night, I was able to go and relax on my swing and read the Sunday paper. Oh, how I enjoyed myself last night just swinging away, reading the news and listening to the birds sing away. At least I wasn't the only one enjoying myself!

I also trimmed some of the those annoying yellow flower bushes that we have in our back corner that is in the back of our garden area. I wanted to get to it before the flowers really bloomed. Those branches take away a lot of the sun from our veggies and I didn't want it to happen again. So, I worked on that too along with the swing area. I can't wait to plant my garden.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The weather has been great; I'm glad you were able to get out in the yard and I think starting with the backyard was a good call b/c your swing looks so relaxing!

The Sweet Family said...

Your swing looks so inviting! I would totally fall asleep there! Great job!

As for the gardening, we are getting tons and tons of rain so our garden is a little behind this year. Oh well, its still early.