Thursday, April 3, 2008

Its My Daddy's Birthday!


Happy Birthday Dad! Today is my dad's special day. He's not welcoming a new decade yet, that's next year, but its still a day to celebrate him. He even took the day off from work to kick back and relax.

My dad is the oldest, he has a brother who lives in MD. He is a babyboomer. There is so much to share about him, its hard to pick a spot and go. So, lets start from what I remember as the beginning.

My dad was in the airforce. He got to travel to exotic places and help out his country. That's how he met my mom. Good thing, huh?

He was a fireman in MD. We lived a few houses down from the firehouse. I don't remember him actually running down to the station, but I have heard the stories. He loves to talk about those days and you can see it in his eyes that he really enjoyed helping other people. Even to this day, he checks out the website for the firehouse and tells me all about what is happening in our old town of Beltsville. I think he missed the action, so he is now a certified EMT and on our towns disaster squad for any emergencies or events (like the semi annual air show in our town).

He was a telephone man in MD and is still in that field. We work on the same campus (even in the same building) and I get to see my dad everyday. Who gets to do that and enjoy it? I am told by a co-worker that she is jealous that I get to see my dad everyday and she doesn't. Well, I am blessed. When I am come into work, we usually chat for a few minutes or he stops by my office to occupy the "cumfy chair" for a little bit.


I am really lucky that we are close and able to talk about many things. He also helps me out alot at work too, you know, when my phone doesn't work. I know who to call and get immediate assistance. Its always nice to have an "in".


Dad & Grandpa

I could go on and on about my dad, but I don't want to take up your day. I just want to thank him for being such a great father, teacher and a listener. I am proud to call him dad and a friend. He has taught me so many things about life and values, he may not even realize. So, happy birthday dad and I can't wait to dig into that cake on Saturday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this post! Dads certainly have a special place in our hearts & your dad sounds like an amazing man & father. I wish him a super fantastic happy birthday and I hope that you all have a great time celebrating him today! SMILES - amy :)

floreksa said...

If John wasn't dying of the stomach bug right now, I'm sure he'd say:

"Happy Birthday, Floyd!" ;)