Thursday, April 10, 2008

*Book Crossing*

You ask what is book crossing? Well, let me explain - the other day, I peeled off another day of my page-a-day calender and thought I would look into the suggestion of the book crossing entry. It actually looks pretty neat.

If you have ever been geo-caching*, its almost the same thing but with books. Its an international program where you register a book online, leave it in a public location (gym, coffee shop, airport, etc), then read and pass along if you would like. I signed up online and I might actually participate. It looks pretty neat! It also saves money on books too. The website is bookcrossing.com

**************************

*OK, so you ask what geo-caching is-its a web based hide and go seek. You go online (geocaching.com), find a location you want to go find items, type in the coordinates on your handheld GPS, then go hiking and searching for a weather proof box filled with trinkets. When you find the box, take a trinket and replace it with something you have brought to place in the box (it could be from McDonalds happy meal toys to CD's).

That's a quick explanation, but its so much fun! We used to go geo-caching a few years ago and it was a blast. It gets you outside, usually in places you wouldn't think about hiking or going too, bonding time with family and stories to tell for years to come. Highly recommended!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is extrememly cool! I'm so excited that you shared this and I'm definitely going to check it out! So have you tried it yet? Maybe I am just a bad reader...let me know how it works for you!