Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I'm So Proud!


I am so proud of my parents! They are in the process of quiting smoking. Mom & Dad had started this past weekend on the prescription (Chantix) that assists you with quiting. I am so happy for them!

They have been smoking since, forever. Since I was a little kid, I have been harassing them to quit and going on and on why they should.

Over time, each time would try to quit here and there, but the urge just became over whelming. My dad once said the toughest part was to let go of the routine that came with smoking. Its also tough when one would try to quit and the other wasn't ready. So, this time its a duel effort which will make it 100% better for the both of them.

They have a few friends who have tried the Chantix when it first came out. And now they are smoke free. These have been people who have been smoking since they were 15 years old and they are now in their 50's. I am so happy that their friends shared their positive stories with them for inspiration. If it wasn't for them, I don't think they would have taken a chance.

Of course there were insurance hurdles they had to deal with. Their insurance company would not pay for the prescription even after countless appeals. So, they took matters into their own hands and decided it was worth the cost out of pocket to be healthy.

My parents are in their first week of trying with a half a pill. I guess since they are just starting, they are allowed to still smoke, but over time that urge will go away when the dosage increases.


My dad has set a goal. He is going away for business in the beginning of May and he wants to be done smoking and off the pill before he leaves. What a goal to have!

Well, I hope it works for them in many ways! They will be healthier, richer (since the MA cigarette tax will increase again soon) and be better off in so many ways.

Maybe what got them to do it this time was the threat that they couldn't watch their grand kid (when ever that will be) if they were still smoking! Maybe I should have said that years ago - wink! wink!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine how difficult it must be to quit after all of those years; I recently fell into the horrible habit and have tried to quit a few times with no luck...you have to be ready and really want to stop & you have to be willing to give up the routine - like your dad said! I wish them the very best of luck with quitting...it sounds like they are really serious about it - so I'm sure they can do it!