Friday, January 2, 2009

Mom & Dad Coffee Wars

Its a standing joke around here, that we tease my mom we've brewed her Starbucks coffee without her knowing it rather then the usual brand we have on hand. We've never done this, but we like to keep her on her toes. My mom drinks coffee 24/7 let me tell you and this is why we always have a fresh pot of coffee waiting for her when she arrives.

My mom cannot stand the taste of Starbucks coffee. She says its too oily (what ever that means since I don't drink the stuff, I have no idea what she's talking about). So, for the longest time if we were to buy her or my dad coffee as a gift, it would be Dunkin Donuts pound bags.


Recently, my dad was away for business and decided to see for himself what the big deal about the Starbucks coffee really is. Well, let me just tell you every morning before his business meetings would start for that week, he was down in the lobby sipping on his Starbucks coffee. He likes the stuff and whenever he gets a chance, he's at a local cafe ordering a Grande Breakfast Blend.


Now I was in a dilemma for the household gift to my parents from us this past Christmas. I felt torn. I didn't want to cater towards one parent with DD ground coffee or Starbucks. So, while out Christmas shopping at Target, I walked by their coffee isle and guess what I came up with? I bought one pound of the Starbucks Breakfast Blend and one pound of regular DD coffee......perfect!


On Christmas day, I handed my parents their gift bag. My mom starts to open the bag while standing in the middle of the room (near our coffee table) with my dad sitting on the coach near by. She pulls out the Dunkin Donuts bag and starts to do the 5-year old look what I got, naa, naa, naa dance. She even stuck out her tongue and wrinkled her nose at him.


While my mom is parading around with the one bag of coffee without looking into the bag to see what else was inside, I'm thinking oh my goodness. I nonchalantly mentioned to her to see what else is in the bag. She immediately puts the DD bag on the coffee table, ribs out the tissue paper, notices what else is in the bag and her shoulders just slump. She looked like one of those inflatable lawn decorations that had lost its air when she saw the bag of Starbucks coffee starring back at her.


It was the funniest thing to see my mom teasing my dad, find out that I was fair at the gift giving and then watch her back peddle while my dad sat on the coach with a smirk on his face. A priceless Christmas moment!

2 comments:

Cherish said...

Gotta love those quirky family moments, hey

Kellan said...

Cute story!

I don't like Starbucks coffee either. I like DD pretty good (I worked there when I was a kid), but I prefer good old Folgers with my Hazelnut creamer - YUM!

Happy New Year, Amanda - see you soon - Kellan