Thursday, May 1, 2008

Happy May

Its May! Yeah! Well, here in MA its been chilly all week & I want it to be warm & sunny like it was last week. Its been in the 30's in the morning & if we are lucky, it makes it to the mid-60's during the day but the chill is still around.

My office area tends to seal in either the chill or the hot sticky feeling, so its hardly ever a perfect setting when the heat or AC is off, so we are stuck with what ever temperature awaits us. The heating plant shut off our heat most likely over the temperatures from last week. But last week was beautiful so it made sense. But, what do I know about heat management, I sit in an office all day.

So, today its cold in here. I have to sit on my hands to help warm them up. I'm not the only one cold here, so at least I know its just not me being cold all the time.

With that in mind, I wanted to think of things that remind me of the month of May. They may be mindless facts, but it helps me think of warm thoughts. So, here are some interesting facts about May-

According to the early Roman calendar, May was the third month. Later, the ancient Romans used January 1 for the beginning of their year, and May became the fifth month. May has always had 31 days.

Several stories are passed around to show how the month of May was named. The most widely accepted explanation is that it was named for Maia, the Roman goddess of spring and growth. Her name related to a Latin word that means increase or growth.

May is of the most beautiful months of the year in the North Temperate Zone. Usually the snow and ice are gone and the hot temperatures haven't arrived. The first garden begins to sprout in May. The wild flowers are blooming, and the trees and grasses have turned green. Wild flowers that bloom in different parts of America are the forsythia, dogwood, violets, and jack-in-the-box. Many birds have built their nests, and mother birds are sitting on the eggs, which will soon hatch.

Hawthorn and Lily of the Valley are the flowers for the month of May.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a positive happy post! It is so exciting that MAY is here, but I agree with you ~ it would be nice to have the warmer temps to go along with it!

Who knew May used to be the third month - thanks for the trivia tips!!!

Have a great weekend! Amy