Wednesday, May 7, 2008

New Neighbor

A few weeks ago I noticed a morning dove flying in & our of a hanging basket that I left outside on our side porch from last year. I didn't think anything of it, I was still happy that it was beginning to be more spring like outside.

About a week ago, I noticed a nest was built inside of the basket. I thought it was pretty neat, but I didn't see any birds around it so I had assumed the birds were scared off since it was so close to our back door and driveway.

On Saturday, there were now two birds in the basket. They would each fly away when we would approach the porch so we didn't think anything of it.

By Sunday, the female bird would remain in the nest while the male would fly off. Wow! I was amazed how brave this bird was being. I was assuming she had an egg that she had to keep warm & protected, but there was no proof.

On Monday, it was confirmed one egg was in the nest. This had confirmed why the mommy bird would wait until the last possible second to fly off. She hasn't flown off when I'm around so it take something pretty scary for her to fly away (it must have been the kids next door playing to close to our back stoop for her to fly off when it was determined how many eggs were in the nest by my husbands sister).

Now I am so protective of the nest. Any large object coming in or out of the house, it has to go through the front door. Any fast movements around the nest are prohibited. I need to help out my new neighbor. I am pretty excited to be able to be so close to mother natures magic! I will let you know when we have a new baby birdie in the nest!

1 comment:

Brooke said...

That's like the penthouse suite of bird's nests. The litle dove thinks she hit the motherload!!