Thursday, May 22, 2008

Should've Seen It Coming!

Do you remember seeing that commercial with a guy (this guy to the left) giving out his social security number, challenging identity theft scum to us his information since his SS# was protected though his fraud protection company? Well, it backfired on him!

News out today that Todd Davis's company, Lifelock, didn't work & his social security # was compromised. He should have seen it coming! I bring this up with my recent post about my personal experience with identity theft.

His company is being sued by some people stating his company did not protect their identity. According to the associated press, Todd's social security # lead to 20 attempts to people applying for a new drivers licence, which was ultimately rejected because of social security match-ups in their administrative offices. But the attempts were made.

Also, there were 87 other attempts to steal his identity and one succeeded. Someone in Texas used Todd Davis's information for a $500 loan using his Social Security number.

If you have this company protecting your identity, maybe its time to rethink the company you are paying to provide this task. According to the article, Todd knew his identity was compromised, but he still went along convincing people that it worked.

So again, be careful with your personal information. If you want to read the entire article, check out - ID Protection Ads Bite Pitchman


I guess the best way to protect yourself is to review your credit card statements, check your credit history, answer the phone if you see your credit card company calls (since it could be the fraud dept) and make sure to shop online with secured websites.

I practice these actions since my identity was stolen, but its too late for me since my information is out there. I just make sure to comb over all my information to help prevent any more issues. Just be careful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a complete idiot! That is all I can say about this. I guess he sincerely thought he was safe, but come on - who puts their social out there like that - regardless!!! :)

The Sweet Family said...

The word IDIOT comes to mind as soon as I saw this.

I guess he was never told in Business class, "NEVER TRUST ANYONE!!!!!".

Have a great weekend!!!