Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Stiff (the novel you dirty minds)

My first thoughts finishing this book was, wow I didn't know there were so many options after death for your body. Ok, let me back up here before I jump ahead.

This book is about a women, Mary Roach, who researched the countless ways a human cadaver is used with the notion the person requested their body used for scientific purposes after they die. The range is amazing. The author did bring up a good point that you may request one thing but truly it is up to the people who are left to carry it all out to actually follow through since they have to feel comfortable with what they are doing for you.

Mary researched all things a cadaver could participate in as long as the person requests there body to be used for science research. The topics she touches upon are plastic surgery research, anatomy research, human decay samples, human crash test dummies, plane crash passengers, military testing, religious theories, organ donation, possibility of head transplants, cannibalism & cadaver compost bin possibilities.

Yes, the book could be morbid at times but the author has a way about her style that makes it interesting. She loves her work and it shows. She goes after questions we all want to know, but are afraid to ask in disrespect to the person who is lying in front of you. The author made me laugh out load at times with her corky sense of humor with such an odd subject. Its definitely something to consider reading if you are interested in this type of thing. I wouldn't recommend it as a light hearted summer read though.

I know she got me thinking about what I would like to request my family to do with me after I am no longer here. But hopefully that is a long, long time from now and who knows what other possibilities there will be out there to chose from!

2 comments:

Kellan said...

Sounds interesting - thanks for the review. My twins love this sort of book - I'm going to ask them if they've heard of it.

Have a good day - thanks for coming by. See you soon - Kellan

The Sweet Family said...

HMMM . . . I am a donor and I just want them to do as they please however, I'm not sure I wanna know everything in detail.

Love the "STIFF" reference!!!

Have a good one!