Thursday, June 5, 2008

Gearing Up

A couple of months ago, Jeff & I discussed the possibility of camping. I loved it when I was younger & he was a boy-scout when he was a kid (mostly goofing off while in the program, but none-the-less, a boy-scout) and he likes being outdoors so we figured we would give it a try with Zack. We decided to go with Zack when he was here in MA for his week visit in August. We wouldn't go for the whole week, just a few days.

I thought about our new plain a& didn't like the idea of our first time out camping to be with Zack. Don't get me wrong, but I didn't want the first time assembling a new tent (which would probably be a tense moment) and most likely figuring out we left important items at home since we hadn't camped before. I don't want it to be a bad experience and turn Zack against the whole idea 100% since he really isn't up for it in the first place. So, I brought up the idea we should camp out a few times before we get him just to work out the kinks and get a knack for the whole camping thing.


So, tonight Jeff and I headed to Walmart to stock up on camping supplies. We bought everything from a tent (a 6 person, 2 room tent) to camp fire starters. I think we are all set now to actually live out in the wilderness with all the stuff we bought, but hey....its better to be prepared then not! Right?!?!

Our new tent

After we checked out, Jeff made a interesting point. The register asked if the purchaser was over the age 16 for our shovel. Of course we are, but we found that odd. Then when the cashier scanned the propane tanks, nothing, no questions on age, just a beep and the price displayed. Jeff found this very disturbing that there is an age check on a camping shovel, but not propane tanks. I guess more under age kids get hurt with a shovel then propane, who knows!

So, this weekend we are going to set up the tent in the back yard as a test run and camp out in our back yard. I can't wait! Next, we have to pick a weekend to head out into the wilderness and try out the rest of the gear. I'm so excited!

So please pass along any camping tips, suggestions or even fun (or frightening) stories!

2 comments:

The Sweet Family said...

Good luck with that!

I am not a camper and hate the thought. My best friend is an avid camper. She hunts, fishes, the whole 9er!

I LOVE my bed and indoor plumbing. I love A/C and TV. Why would I ever want to stray. I guess in somes ways it makes me realize I am a girlie girl!

Please post how it all goes. I am anxious to see if you still enjoy the camping experience!

Anonymous said...

How fun! I got really excited reading this - I love camping, but have not been in years...ya'll are going to have a blast!!!

Um - I can recommend a twist on smores...makes them with a peppermint patty instead of the chocolate bar (to die for!). Also - always take along UNO and Phase 10 is tons of fun too!


ENJOY!!
Amy