Friday, February 22, 2008

You're doing what on your lunch break?!?!?

Two years ago today, my husband and I decided to get married on our lunch break. Yes, you read it correctly. Now, this was in the middle of all the last minute transplant appointments that my husband and father-in-law were going through and the rest of the family adjusting their schedules.

This is how the day went two years ago..........mid-morning I received a text message from my fiance for me to check out the MA regulations on marriage (We had assumed a blood test and a wait period was still required for all of MA marriages. We were going to handle all of this in the summer since we were planning on getting married in July that year).

Since I was busy at work, I called my mom and asked her to call city hall to find out what is needed. My mom reports back and tells me that blood tests are no longer required, but there is a wait period between the issuing of the marriage license and the wedding. I asked my mom to call back and ask if there could be an exception since we need to be married so I can activate the family leave act for the transplant (and other legal matters for instance, its best that we were married in the event I had to make any medical decisions for my husband if there were any complications from the surgery).

Moments later my mom called back and said the judge will be at lunch until 1:30pm, but city hall is willing to start paperwork and set up a hearing to go in front of a judge and tell him our story. Also, there was a Justice of the Peace working at city hall and they were willing to stay (I guess they had a 1/2 day) to marry us.

So, my fiance and I decided around 11:00am that we will get married on our lunch break. I called my parents, he told his dad (who works with him) and he notified his brother. My soon to be brother-in-law calls me and asks me "What are you doing on your lunch break?". I told him what we were planning and its OK if he (and my soon to be sister-in-law) can't make it since its such a last minute thing. My fiance and I met at our house around 12:30pm (he had to meet with a lawyer first to deal with his son's situation). At our house is my parents, his dad and his boss. His boss wanted to see this happening since this is the first time he heard this excess for an extended lunch break!

Our first stop was at city hall to fill out paperwork.


Then we had to go to the court house and wait for the judge to return from lunch. When it was time, my fiance and I walked up to the judge bench. He asked us what our story was (in a tone that was like, oh you knocked her up and now you need to get married all of a sudden). My fiance started to tell him about the liver transplant and explained that we want to get married before hand for legal purposes and.....then the judge asked him to stop and signed the papers with out asking another question.

Then it was back to city hall for the ceremony.


Then we were married! After we kissed, we headed our separate ways to get back to work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awh - how cute! I love how your stories of the transplant are all tied together to this - how awesome! Have a great weekend!!!

Brooke said...

Now I don't feel so bad...I was married in California by the courthouse, grabbed a cup of coffee and then boarding a plane to go home to Alabama. Sometimes you just gotta do, what you gotta do!!

Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. I appreciate the comment!