Thursday, February 28, 2008

Pain Management

My husband was in a lot of pain around his abdomen area from the incision. He had a morphine drip and an epidural to help control his discomfort. It hurt him the most when he had to move.


When he didn't have to move around for the nurses or to have tests done, he only wanted to sleep. He wanted the room to be quite, cold and dark. He was hooked up to a catheter for a few days too, so he just had to lay there. Also, he really wasn't hungry, because he was hooked up to a bag of nutrition. But, of course they wanted me to try and make him eat anything. Oh, that was fun!

So, each time he had to clime on another gernie to be wheeled down he was is so much pain. One time, I almost started to cry because he hurt so bad. No one could understand because of the pain management tools he was hooked up too should be helping him, but they didn't really look into it. Who knows what they were thinking.

A few days later, when it was time to remove the epidural, the nurse rolled him over to his side. The tape was removed that "held" it in and oh look at that, the epidural feel out. No wonder he was in such pain! I just wish the nurses had checked sooner for my husbands sake. After the "removal" of the epidural, he started to feel a little better since time was passing and the morphine worked better.



I stayed in the hospital with my husband and father-in-law. I slept in my husbands room on a cot, but mostly hung out in my father-in-laws room. I just wanted to be there with them to keep them company and provide and extra set of ears when the doctors did their rounds.

No comments: