Wednesday, February 27, 2008

And the winner is........

My husband was done with his surgery first. His surgeon gathered us all together in a private room and told us that he did fine during the transplant and he was being stitched up (my thought was, then whey are you out here talking to us, but I guess that is what interns are for). She warned us that he would most likely wake up and be very uncomfortable like they had warned us before hand. They explained it like he would feel like he was hit by a mack truck. Ouch!

Next up, my father-in-law. I believe it was about 45 minutes later my father-in-laws surgeon came out to let us know he did great during the surgery. We asked him if we could see either or both of them after they were brought to ICU. He said only for a brief moment.

After they were brought to the ICU, my husband was awake but very uncomfortable from the pain. He didn't want to see anyone (that was tough to hear, but I respected his wishes). But my thoughts were, at least he is awake.

My father-in-law was still sleeping, but they let us see him. They warned us not to be negative or upset when we saw him with all his tubes because they only want positive words and feelings around him (the doctors say that they are not 100% sure what the patients hear while being under, so they want all interactions to be positive). I wish I had a picture to share, but none of dared to take a picture, but he was connected to all kinds of tubes and had a huge piece of orange tape across his face (to hold in his respirator). He just looked peaceful while resting and we told him he did a great job.

After our brief visit, we all headed to either our hotel rooms (me, my mom, husbands sister and uncle stayed at a local hotel) or family members house (my brother and sister-in-law stayed at her family's house near by) for some rest. It was a very emotional draining day for all of us, but it was just the beginning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - this was quite an experience for your family! I guess I have always taken for granted what a huge gift organ donors provide considering all of the recovery they must go through as well. You have an amazing family :)