Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Getting Ready

So, two years ago mid-February everyone is waiting for the phone call to find out when the transplant would be. All the involved family members are busy notifying their bosses that they will need a few days off from work (or 3 months if you are my husband and father-in-law, or me asking for a few weeks off to take care of both of them), but not really know when it was going to be.

My company wouldn't let me take the Family Leave (the act that protects you for taking time off up to 3 months without having to use vacation time) because my husband and I were not married at the time, but we had everything set to be married 7/31/2006. So, my husband and I joked around that we should get married before the transplant, but we weren't really serious. Also, we thought a blood test and a wait period were still required for marriage in Massachusetts.

So, I figured I would have to use up all my vacation and personal time to come up with 37.5 hours of time off for 3 weeks for when it was time. Then have no time left for our honeymoon in August, it was a stressful situation. But I figured I would deal with it as it came along.

Also, as we wait for the transplant date, my husband found out my step-son would be moved to VA since his mother and her parents were moving there to get out of Western Massachusetts. What a nice time to tell him and the family as we all prep for the transplant. She could have told us before the holidays since her parents were actively looking for a housethen. She decided to tell us after the house was bought. So now, my husband had to look for a lawyer on top of getting everything he needed done for the transplant. Nice, huh?

No comments: