Wednesday, February 6, 2008

In the begining.........

My father-in-law found out from his liver doctor in the spring of 2005, that he should go meet the team at the Lahey Clinic to see what they could do about his condition. His liver doctor had done everything he could do to help my father-in-law and it was time to try to move onto the next step of help.

My father-in-law has sirousus of the liver. His liver doctor had him try out several medications that did not work since his sirousus was so far along and caused his mental capacity to become shaky. It was too the point that my now sister-in-law was worried for the family's well being because the medication caused him to be unstable.

Also, besides sirousus of the liver, his skin was a dark mustard color, he had extreme water retention, and he was depressed, tired, weak and irritable. All common side-effect when your liver can no longer filter for the body.

Also, before going to see the doctors at the Lahey Clinic, my father-in-law had 3 hernia surgeries. We found out later that it was a common thing with sirousus of the liver because of the water retention, but before knowing this he just thought it was from his job delivering mail.

So my father-in-law and brother-in-law made their way to meet the liver team at the Lahey Clinic in Burlington MA in the early part of summer in 2006. My father-in-law was tested, poked and explained his situation to the new doctors. They then explained that they will invite him to a two day session to explain the whole liver transplant process since he appeared to be a good candidate.

To be continued...............

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very interesting...I'm on the edge of my seat :) Seriously! Can't wait to hear the rest...:)