Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Poor Little Guy

My little boy has had a rough 24 hours. He had his 2 month check up, but he had to have two shots for immunizations. I wasn't prepared for that and neither was he!! But before we get into that, Drew now weighs 16 pounds, 1 oz and is 24 1/2 inches long. What a big boy!

Anyway, the doctor had Jeff lay him on the table in the exam room, hold his hands and talk to him. Now Drew has gotten shots before, but not two at once. So, the doctor stuck his first leg and he whimpered a little while Jeff was talking to him and I thought this is good. Then came the second needle in the other leg. Bring on the screams and crocodile tears.

Jeff picked him up right away (after the doc said she was all set) and just held him and soothed him. It took several minutes, but Drew pulled in his bottom lip and just whimpered. What a trooper I thought!


Then evening came and it was a different story. His little thighs were sore where the needle marks where. We couldn't get near the area without him screaming. He couldn't get comfy, he couldn't relax and cried while he ate. It was a long night.


Finally today I was able to call the nurse at the pediatricians and asked if I could give him infant Tylenol. After discussing the amount and all the information, we got the ok to give him the meds. As soon as I got home, I gave him the grape goodness and within an hour, relief was in his eyes. Drew was miserable all day!


I just finished putting him down for bed and what a difference it was last night compared to today. He relaxed, ate like a champ and even smiled a little too. My poor little guy!

No comments: