Monday, October 27, 2008

New Yoga Experiance

Last week I signed up for a prenatal yoga class through the hospital I will be using for the delivery of my baby (I love saying that). On the day I signed up for the class, I wasn't left with the warm and fuzzes about the whole operation, but I decided to still go to my class on Saturday.

I should have listened to my initial feeling and just skipped the class since it was not a fun time. So, let me walk you through my experience.

I walked into an office building of sorts to find the yoga class setting up in an open lobby area of the building. It wasn't in an office or room of its own, it was being held in the corner of a lunch/conference/main lobby area. The office building was associated to the hospital, so you would think they would have its own room set aside.

I noticed there were no yoga mats or supplies provided. I was counting my lucky stars that I decided to purchase my own mat the night before, phew!

The instructor was late, which cut into our hour of time. There is another "class" right after ours. The instructor also announced that in two weeks the class will move from Saturdays to Sunday morning. To me, my Sunday mornings are reserved for reading the paper, maybe going out to breakfast or just relaxing on the couch since its the last day before the new work week. I wasn't excited that the class date change.

Then the class started. The instructor wasn't respectful that a yoga class is the time to meditate/relax to get your energy flowing. She would talk and laugh throughout the entire class. I must have been spoiled at the last yoga place I went too!

I think it was also pick on the new person day. The instructor kept having me adjust my feet for every pose. Um, I learned that yoga was practiced to the ability the individuals body could do. The funny thing is, the girl in front of me wasn't doing the pose like the instructor had me do, but she didn't say a word to her. So, half way through the class, I had enough. I just kept telling myself, just get through the rest of the class and you don't have to come back.

The worse part was, during one pose, the instructor was about to come over and move my body the way she thought it should be. Before she could even touch me, I said this is as far as I can go. Ok, that is a big no-no in my book. Don't force my body into a pose that you the instructor feels it should be/look like. She doesn't know my body limitations. That was it! I wanted to just leave, but the class was almost over.

So, I paid my $12 and will be in the pursuit of another prenatal yoga. I wish the center I went to for normal yoga had a prenatal class. I may even look into a DVD to practice the yoga in the comfort of my own home.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Ewww. not fun! I have been wanting to find one but I think I will try to find a prenatal massage therapist instead.

Kellan said...

So sorry it didn't go well. The DVD sounds like a good option or look for another class. Good luck.

Take care - Kellan