Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Grandpa Knows

I've been in the process over the last few days passing along our good news (about the little one) to friends, family and co-workers since our appointment last week.

My biggest question was, when do I tell my grandpa (my best friend!). I wanted to tell him from the very beginning, but I didn't want to tell him too early and repeat what happened during my first pregnancy. Grandpa never knew about the second one either since I was waiting (and good thing too). But, now that we are moving so positively with this one, I'm spreading the news.

I wanted to tell him in person at Thanksgiving, but then after we heard the heart beat, I wanted to tell him sooner. I was debating if I should send him a card from his great-granddaughter/son and see if he got what it meant. Then I decided not too. I was thinking of sending him a picture from our first ultrasound at 6 1/2 weeks, but there really isn't much to see unless you explain, so I decided that shouldn't be the way.

So, yesterday I called him up to check-in with him and I just decided to tell him over the phone. We were chatting and it came a moment in the conversation when I told him I have some news. He of course asked, what? Then I told him that I was pregnant. There was a pause (I'm assuming so he could smile big) and the first thing he asked me was "are you excited?" I said yes, we both are!

Then I told him when I was due (4/29). Then the smart-ass remark came from the 82 year old "well, you missed it by two months". I pause for a couple of seconds to think, what the heck is he talking about? Then I realized, he was talking about HIS birthday month (even though our birthdays are in the same month, its his month) and that the baby won't be born in June. I just laughed and said sorry, but I tried! What a goof-ball that man is!

But, he was tickled and I know he can't wait either! This will be his first great-grandchild.

1 comment:

Cherish said...

aww, what a sweet story!