Friday, August 22, 2008

Wild Kingdom

The other evening, Jeff and I were enjoying some time on our swing. We were enjoying the unseasonably cool evening for August while we moved slowly, swinging away. We talked about many things, but was really enjoying ourselves.

The evening was growing darker, but still enough evening light where you can see across the yard, but it was getting a bit difficult as time passed. We had a little pause in our conversation and I heard this odd noise from behind the neighbors fence, where it forms the back corner of the yard. I look over my shoulder and see a dark cat like animal with white on its head trying to get under the privacy fence behind us. I look at Jeff and whisper, do you see that. He shook his head yes. It was indeed the local skunk trying to get in the yard, right behind us.

The skunk tried a few times, trying its hardest to get under the wood fence that is 5 feet behind us. Then it was silent. Jeff and I tried to locate it through the spaces in the fence but we couldn't so we continued to swing and chat.

All of a sudden, I happened to turn my head and look under our pine tree that is about 9 feet to the left of our swing and guess who was there. Yup, Mr Skunk. How the heck did he cross under another section of the fence in stealth like mode? We both froze, but the thing is, I started to giggle to myself (Why?, I have no idea). The skunk was just minding is business, doing what ever it does and it started to trot towards us.

I start giggling harder to myself, so much so I have to put my hand over my mouth so I didn't make any noise. I was shaking the whole swing I was laughing so hard! Jeff looks at me and whispers, if I get spread that's it! That doesn't help at all. So while we are having this silent conversation, Mr Skunk wonders BEHIND us. I can hear it in the mulch less then a foot behind us. I can't even look with the fear of busting out laughing (since I was laughing so hard to myself, with my hand over my mouth, I had tears streaming down my cheeks).

Jeff then whispers, I think he's walking under us. I take everything I have, rest my forehead on Jeff's shoulder and stop laughing. And, it indeed walked right under us, through Jeff's crossed legs and continued to go his way. He just walked along the fence line on the other side of the swing, then disappeared. Jeff then looks at me and asks, what was that (referring to my giggling)? I told him that I have no idea.

I finally told him, I must giggle when I'm nervous! Who knew! It was definitely the closest I've ever gotten to a skunk!

2 comments:

Cherish said...

Wow! I would have been freaking out and Im sure I would have been sprayed. At least the laughing kept you from getting sprayed!

floreksa said...

OMG, I think I would've been a giggling mess too.