Thursday, January 31, 2008

Eye Exam Update

Well, its offical I have to use "readers" to help with my computer work and close range reading. I have an Astigmatism. The doctor asked if I knew what that means (I didn't want to tell him that I heard the word mentioned on a contact commercial, but still didn't know what it meant), but before I could answer he told me (he must have seen the confussed look on my face).

So, this morning I resarched the term on Web MD. This is what they say is Astigmatism is-A person's eye is naturally spherical in shape. Under normal circumstances, when light enters the eye, it refracts evenly, creating a clear view of the object. However, the eye of a person with astigmatism is shaped more like a football or the back of a spoon. For this person, when light enters the eye it is refracted more in one direction than the other, allowing only part of the object to be in focus at one time. Objects at any distance can appear blurry and wavy. Astigmatism can be hereditary and is often present at birth. It can also result from pressure from the eyelids on the cornea, incorrect posture or an increased use of the eyes for close work.

My new glasses should be in next week. I picked out a pair with rectangle lenses with a caramel color frame. The frame is a little thick too, but it will be nice so I can be a little rough with them. I will show them off when they come in. Thanks for the support Dorothy!

PS-my spell check is not working, so sorry in advance for any misspelled words!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! The silver lining is that you now know what the issue was :) you'll have to send pics of the hot new spectacles...rectangle frames sound super fun :)