Monday, January 28, 2008

Peer Pressure at 28

Its funny how peer pressure never ends. Its start is middle school and never really stops. I never crumbled under the drug, sex and party pressures of high school, so why would I start at age 28?

Here is the situation. My husband, my father-in-law and myself were at a local moose club for a fundrasier sock-hop that a co-worker of mine was performing in on Saturday. Also, other close co-workers went with thier loved ones/friends in support of this fun event. While my group was there first to secure the seats we ordered our first round of beverages. Myself and my father-in-law got a soda and my husband got a beer. The second round I tried a Madori Sour, my husband got a beer and my father-in-law got another soda. I didn't really like how the bartender made my fancy drink so my mind was made up to have a soda in the next round.

On of the extra friends that tagged along is known to be outragious and likes to knock back a few drinks which causes her to get obnoxious, I mean friendly. She was buying her group drinks and having a great time.

As she walked by me on her way to the bar she asked if I wanted anything to drink. I said sure, how about a Sprite. She said no, what do you want. I then repeated, a Sprite. Then she tried to pull my hand so I stand up to walk with her to the bar and I said no, I just want a Sprite and if its going to be like this, I don't want anything (as I remained seated). Then she turns around and comes within inches if my face and asked me if I was the designated driver. I said no, I just want a soda. I repeated this again. She gave me the look of death.

All this because I just wantd a soda. She did get me the soda, and I said Thank You in my nicest tone, but I thought the peer pressure nonsence was over when I graduated from high school.

Oh, by the way, the sock-hop was fun. It was great to listen to the oldies and actually know some of the songs.

2 comments:

Rising Rainbow said...

Sounds like you stood your ground just fine. Good for you.

Anonymous said...

You go! Peer pressure is never over...it just reincarnates itself, BUT the coolest thing is that the older we get - the wiser we are - and we see it coming from a mile away ergo it is much easier to say NO! :)